Q: extra carriage returns in OutputForm[] output?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg15227] Q: extra carriage returns in OutputForm[] output?
  • From: wacb at aplcomm.jhuapl.edu (Bill Christens-Barry)
  • Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 01:04:04 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

The input:

       s = {{1, 2, 3}, {4, 5, 6}, {7, 8, 9}}

followed by:

       OutputForm[TableForm[s]]>>>"test_file"

produces a text file:

     1   2   3

     4   5   6

     7   8   9

in which each row is separated by a blank line, and each element in a
row is delimited by several spaces. The blank line is produced by a
succession of two carriage returns at the end of each row.

I would prefer to have a simple tab-delimited file, in which elements
within a row are separated by tabs, and each row is separated by a
single carriage return.

How can I achieve this?  Please give a simple example if a simple
solution exists.

Thanks.

Bill Christens-Barry