Re: How can I use Signal Processing 2.9.5 under Mathematica 3.0

  • To: mathgroup@smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg11023] Re: How can I use Signal Processing 2.9.5 under Mathematica 3.0
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh@wolfram.com>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 18:15:27 -0500
On 16 Feb 1998, SongQian wrote:

> I've downloaded a copy of "Signal Processing 2.9.5 Package and Notebooks"
>  from www.mathsource.com . I found it was written for Mathematica 2.x,
> and after I install it following the README file, it did NOT work.
> I converted all .m files to NoteBook format

Conversion of the package (.m) files to Mathematica notebook (.nb)
format was probably an unnecessary step.

First, double check that you have installed the packages in a location
where the Mathematica kernel can find them.  Mathematica 3.0 uses a
radically different convention for installing add-on packages.  The
preferred locations for installing them is discussed in "Working with
Add-ons"  section of the online help.  Open up the front end's Help
Browser, click on the Add-ons radio button and enter the keyphrase

		Setting Up New Add-ons

in the Go To line of the browser window.

Also, there is an added problem if you are using the Microsoft Windows.
These packages were assembled at a time when Windows was still subject
to the 8+3 character filename limit.  Prior to Mathematica 3.0, the
resolution of context name to filename involved truncating contexts to
their the DOS-compliant name.

 Needs["SignalProcessing`Master`"] -> SIGNALPR\MASTER.M          (pre
3.0)

This is not the case in the Mathematica 3.0 kernel.

 Needs["SignalProcessing`Master`"] -> SignalProcessing\Master.m  (3.0)

This means the kernel will not be able to find the package file since it
will be looking for the long filename instead of the short filename.
To counteract this, you will need to manually rename the files to their
longname equivalents.  To find out what the long filenames should be,
you'll probably have to go through each .m file and look at the
BeginPackage[ ] statements.

The packages you downloaded, I believe, are precursors to the Signals
and Systems package in the Mathematica Applications Library.  You can
learn more about this product at URL:

	http://store.wolfram.com/view/signals/

--
P.J. Hinton