Lists and Plus

I intend to implement routines for basic operator algebra as found in
second quatisation. As my operators commute only under certain
circumstances I want to put them into lists. But by default Plus and
other operations are simplified into the lists:

{ a, b, d, g } + 1 evaluates to

{ a+1, b+1, d+1, g+1 }

which is - in my case - not appropriate. Please give some advice about
how to handle this problem. I already tried to clear Operator Plus but
did not succeed. If you can think of another way to takle the operator
algebra problem, don't hesitate to give advice, too.

Thomas Lemm