Derivatives D[ ] as Functions inside Tables; Need Help!

I'm trying to define a function f1[a,x] and its derivative f2[a,x],
where from my point of view x is the independent variable and   "a" is
a parameter I'll change on different runs.  So I write, as a simple
example:

   Remove["Global`*"]

   f1[a_,x_] :=a Cos[x] + a^2 Sin[x]

   f1[a,x]

   f2[a_,x_] := D[f1[a,x],x]

   f2[a,x]

   a=2

   f1[a,x]

   f2[a,x]

   Table[{x, f1[a,x], f2[a.x]} // N, {x,0,4}] // TableForm

and everything looks fine -- except the function f2[a,x] will not
evaluate inside the Table[ ].  I don't understand this -- help in
understanding will be much appreciated.

     siegman at ee.stanford.edu