Re: automatic numbering and referencing

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg12764] Re: automatic numbering and referencing
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 03:04:23 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at
On 5 Jun 1998, -don. wrote:

> Hello all,
> first off, if anyone wants to learn how to implement automatic numbering
> in a single quick lesson, see H. Burke Jenson's web site :
> which was of
> tremendous value to me....
> now that i'm able to number sections, chapters, equations, etc. w/ ease,
> the next
> problem to arise is the ability to reference that number elsewhere in
> the text.
> (e.g. "we see from equation (12) that...").  this needs to be done in
> such a way that
> if an equation is inserted before the one being referenced, so that the
> referenced
> equation becomes number (13), then the reference to it will also change.
> in the above mentioned web site, he states this can be accomplished by
> the  ambitious by using the functions CounterLabel and CounterReference
> which  he says "don't quitework yet".  There is no reference to these
> in any documentation.
> anyone here know how to accomplish this task -- with or without the
> above  functions?

See Section 5 in my notebook at URL:

Making a counter refer to a value elsewhere in your notebook requires
the presence of a CellTag in the cell that contains the counter value.
It also requires that the CounterBox have a second argument that has
the destination Cell.

P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at Wolfram
Research, Inc.