Image Manipulation -- Graphics Question

I have imported a black and white *.bmp image into Mathematica and
converted it into something the kernel can manipulate(the process was
unusually complicated!) using the Convert to -> Input Form -> Standard
Form and then removing all the NULL statements. However, I am unsure
about the next step.  I am interested in converting the 2-D image into
a 3-D image by using the coloring of the image.  That is, the darker
the image, the higher the point should be plotted on the z-axis.  For
reference, I would allow black (RGB[1,1,1]) to denote a length of 1
along the z-axis and then plot all the other points accordingly.
However, I have been unable to do this.  In mathematical form, the
image is now something like this:
Show[Graphics[RasterArray[{RGB[0,1,1], RGB[0.09,1,0.02]},
{RGB[0.89,1,0.67], RGB....}] with a few other commands.  I am  not very
familiar with the RasterArray command either and I would appreciate any
help concerning this command and how to do what I want to do with my
image.

Thank you.

Elvis Dieguez