Re: Two questions

  • To: mathgroup@smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg11486] Re: Two questions
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh@wolfram.com>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 12:21:30 -0500
On 12 Mar 1998, Selwyn Hollis wrote:

> I have two questions that I hope someone can help me with.
>
> 1) Is there a way to use Plot3D to create a ``wireframe" surface
> plot---that is, showing only the grid curves? (No, Shading->False is
> not what I'm after. I want the plot to be _transparent._) If not, is
> there a better way to do it than plotting curves with ParametricPlot3D?

It is possible to make the polygons of a Graphics3D object transparent
with the WireFrame[ ] function that is defined in Graphics`Shapes.

To find the documentation for this function, pop open the Help Browser,
select the "Master Index" radio button, and enter "WireFrame" in the
"Go To:" line.    This will produce a hyperlink that will send you to
the right place.

> 2) I am continually forgetting to load a package before entering a
> command that it contains. Is there a way to get out of the resulting
> jam without quitting the kernel?

One way to get out of the jam is to tell Mathematica to forget about the
erroneous symbol in the Global` context that you inadvertently created
by calling the package defined function.  Here is an example with
LogLogPlot.

In[1]:= LogLogPlot[x^2, {x, 1, 3}]

                    2
Out[1]= LogLogPlot[x , {x, 1, 3}]

In[2]:= << Graphics`Graphics`

LogLogPlot::shdw:
   Symbol LogLogPlot appears in multiple contexts
    {Graphics`Graphics`, Global`}; definitions in context
Graphics`Graphics`
     may shadow or be shadowed by other definitions.

In[3]:= Remove[Global`LogLogPlot]

In[4]:= LogLogPlot[x^2, {x, 1, 3}]

Out[4]= -Graphics-

A more sophisticated approach has been created by Matthew Cook at WRI. A
notebook demonstrating his technique is available at URL:

http://www.mathsource.com/cgi-bin/MathSource/WhatsNew/0209-089

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh@wolfram.com Wolfram