Q: how to start Solve[] with an initial solution guess?

  • To: mathgroup@smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg12438] Q: how to start Solve[] with an initial solution guess?
  • From: wacb@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu (Bill Christens-Barry)
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 11:15:50 -0400

I have a system of equations that Mathematica 3.0 bogs down on for most
problems of interest.  I would like to seed a solution that is found
for one set of parameters into the routine for finding the solution of
a "nearby" problem (meaning one with only slightly different parameter
values).

How can I do this?  I have tried including a set of conditions (bounds)
on the solution space as inequalities in the system of equations to be
solved, but Mathematica gagged on the form of the inequalities.

Are there other methods of launching Solve[] from an initial trial
solution?

Should I be trying to learn how to instruct Solve[] on what methods it
should be using?  If so, where can I learn about this?

Examples that illustrate any explanation would be especially helpful.

Thanks.

Bill Christens-Barry