Re: Damaged Mathematica Systems Files, and Deleting Mathematica Caches?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg14948] Re: Damaged Mathematica Systems Files, and Deleting Mathematica Caches?
  • From: "Dale Horton" <daleh>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 03:49:46 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

See

http://www.wolfram.com/support/FrontEnds/System/CorruptPreferencesCache.html

-Dale

AES wrote in message <72e2gv$ohi at smc.vnet.net>... Running Mathematica
3.0 on a Power Mac  8600 OS 8.1, I occasionally get messages during
operation saying that the file "UnicodeShiftJISFontMapping.tr", buried
deep in Mathematica:System Files:Front End:Text Resources:, "could not
be opened".  Operation then continues OK.

I suppose that I could reinstall this one file, but I note that it (and
a lot of other Mathematica files) seem to be duplicated as .pbf in
"Cache" folders inside the main Mathematica folder.   Are these Cache
files critical?  Could they be corrupt?  Could deleting the Cache files
(a) free up any HD space, (b) force them to be regenerated?