Re: MacOS vs. Windows PC for Mathematica?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg13930] Re: MacOS vs. Windows PC for Mathematica?
  • From: Harald Giese <giese at>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 02:52:29 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Josip Loncaric wrote:
> Why this inconsistency?  The benchmarks are rather different, and
> Stefan's requires more memory to run.  Could this be the main source of
> NT's lackluster performance?  There is a bug fix for "Out of memory"
> errors reported by Mathematica 3.0 and 3.0.1 under NT (see
> page).
> Were Stefan's results affected by this in any way?

After upgrading the CPU from P133 to P200MMX recently I re-ran Karl's
and Stefan's tests.

Here the ratios:
CPU:	200 MHz / 133 MHz = 1.5
Karl:	1.15 / 0.706 = 1.6
Stefan:	902 s / 599 s = 1.5

I assume the better ratio with Karl's test to be due to the twice as big
L1-caches of MMX CPUs.

The memory bug fix shows no significant differences in the performance
of the tests - except that Stefan's test now can be run in one.

Harald Giese
Email: giese at
Phone: +49 (0)40 4123 5796; Fax: +49 (0)40 5605724 Institut fuer
Meereskunde der Universitaet Hamburg (Institute of Oceanography of the
University of Hamburg) Troplowitzstrasse 7, D-22529 Hamburg