Re: MacOS vs. Windows PC for Mathematica?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg13930] Re: MacOS vs. Windows PC for Mathematica?
- From: Harald Giese <giese at dkrz.de>
- Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 02:52:29 -0400
- Organization: Institut fuer Meereskunde, Universitaet Hamburg
- References: <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Josip Loncaric wrote: > ... > Why this inconsistency? The benchmarks are rather different, and > Stefan's requires more memory to run. Could this be the main source of > NT's lackluster performance? There is a bug fix for "Out of memory" > errors reported by Mathematica 3.0 and 3.0.1 under NT (see > http://www.wolfram.com/support/Systems/Windows/OutOfMemory.html page). > Were Stefan's results affected by this in any way? > ... After upgrading the CPU from P133 to P200MMX recently I re-ran Karl's and Stefan's tests. Here the ratios: CPU: 200 MHz / 133 MHz = 1.5 Karl: 1.15 / 0.706 = 1.6 Stefan: 902 s / 599 s = 1.5 I assume the better ratio with Karl's test to be due to the twice as big L1-caches of MMX CPUs. The memory bug fix shows no significant differences in the performance of the tests - except that Stefan's test now can be run in one. -- Harald Giese Email: giese at dkrz.de Phone: +49 (0)40 4123 5796; Fax: +49 (0)40 5605724 Institut fuer Meereskunde der Universitaet Hamburg (Institute of Oceanography of the University of Hamburg) Troplowitzstrasse 7, D-22529 Hamburg