Re: Showing a limited GrayLevel

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg19074] Re: Showing a limited GrayLevel
  • From: "Atul Sharma" <atulksharma at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 01:34:59 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In general, function values are scaled to the range 0-1 and then assigned a
color function based on this scaled value. This particular issue is even
more relevant if you use ColorFunction -> Hue, since the latter assigns the
red color to both a 0 and 1, making for very confusing images. The solution
in both cases is to apply an anonymous function which scales the 0-1 value
generated automatically  to only part of the range. The following function
illustrates how this works if you want to drop the range 0-0.5 in the
GrayLevel assignment. The same construct works for Hue, incidentally.

ContourPlot[Sin[x] Sin[y], {x, -2, 2}, {y, -2,
2},ColorFunction->(GrayLevel[1-#/2] &)]

Atul Sharma

PS: This is well described in Mathematica in Action, Second Edition
Stan Wagon (TELOS/Springer-Verlag, 1999), which includes the following
example using RGB Color to code the output in tones ranging from blue to
pink by varying the amount of red in the mix.

ColorFunction->(RGBColor[0.3+ 0.7 #, 0.4, 0.8]&)]