Mathematica 4 complex packed arrays bug

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg19095] Mathematica 4 complex packed arrays bug
  • From: slinger at signal.dra.hmg.gb (Chris Slinger)
  • Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 01:35:13 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Thanks to everyone who has been involved in tying the Mathematica v4 complex packed
array bug down.  These included:

hay at haystack.demon.co.uk, ErsekTR at navair.navy.mil, rfinley at medicine.umsmed.edu,
schaferk at communique.net, tgarza at mail.internet.com.mx,
kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de

I thought I would briefly summarise the current state of play.

Firstly, a simple demonstration of the bug:

In[1]:= $Version

Out[1]= "4.0 for Microsoft Windows (April 21, 1999)"

In[2]:= f=Fourier[{1}];
	f[[1]]=2.0 + 1.0 I;

Out[2]= {2. + 2. I}

The result should, of course, be {2. + 1. I}.

Wolfram Support (see bottom attachment) confirm that a bug exists when setting
parts of complex, packed arrays under certian circumsrances.  Actaully, they
like euphemisms, and call it "wrong behaviour" :-)

You will recall that packed arrays are a new Mathematica feature, appaearing for the
first time in v4.  To demonstrate that the bug occurs in other situations (and
is not a problem associated with Fourier[], for example), note :

In[3]:=	f=Developer`ToPackedArray[{1. + 1. I}];
	f[[1]]=2.0 + 1.0 I;

Out[3]= {2. + 2. I}

However, integer components seem fine:

In[4]:=	f=Developer`ToPackedArray[{1. + 1 I}];
	f[[1]]=2.0 + 1.0 I;

Out[4]= {2. + 1. I}

In[5]:=	f=Developer`ToPackedArray[{1. + 1. I}];
	f[[1]]=2.0 + 1 I;

Out[5]= {2. + I}

This confirms that it is the new packed arrays, and that we can expect
problems whenever we try setting parts to any non-integer, complex packed array.
Therefore, any function which generates a packed complex array (to
enhance speed of execution and reduce memory use under v4) - such as
Fourier[] - could cause problems in any subsequent setting of non-integer parts
in the resulting array.  The conversion to packed arrays is done
"automatically by many functions that generate large lists" (according
to the on-line help for Developer`ToPackedArray[]), so the instances
where this bug could give erroneous results would seem to be quite
large (unfortunately, I do not have a list of the functions - any ideas
?).

There are several ways around this.  As suggested by Wolfram Support, conversion
to unpacker array format is one (using Developer`FromPackedArray[]), but this is
at the cost of extra memory and the loss of some speed.  Another, far more
satisfactory, is to use ReplacePart[].  This seems to work well (especially as
the bug in ReplacePart[] in version 3 has been fixed !).

Finally, it does seem somewhat surprising that this has not been picked up
before, methinks.  <IF> Wolfram developers did know about it, it is yet another
example of a situation where a bug list would have saved users a lot of
time rediscovering something that Wolfram already knew...

Thanks again to everyone who contributed,

-chris