Re: equaltity of lists

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg19067] Re: equaltity of lists
  • From: adam.smith at
  • Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 01:34:54 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Try using the triple equal === (SameQ).  There are subtle differences
between the == (Equal) and the === and I can not explain exactly what
they are.  But in this case == fails because it does not "know" what
the values of a and b are. So it just returns the original input which
is Mathematica's way of telling you it can not do this.  However ===
seems to do some things with pattern matching and returns the value

Adam Smith

In article <7o5ih1$rml at>,
  "Drago Ganic" <drago.ganic at> wrote:
> Hi !!
> Why don't I get an answer (False) when I ask Mathematica
> like the one I get with
>     False
> Greetings from Croatia,
> Drago Ganic