Re: M4: Evaluating cells from external notebooks

The problem you're experiencing here is that NotebookLocate[]
returns Null.  The behavior of SelectionEvaluate[Null] is
not defined in any documentation I could find, but the
behavior does appear to have changed from version 3 to
version 4.

I suggest the following code instead:

SelectionEvaluate[
  NotebookLocate[{notebookname,cellname}]; SelectedNotebook[]
]

Sincerely,

John Fultz
Front End Group