Re: Mathematica on linux help and Mathematica returns wrong integral result

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg19450] Re: Mathematica on linux help and Mathematica returns wrong integral result
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 01:25:18 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 24 Aug 1999 psalzman at landau.ucdavis.edu wrote:

> i have Mathematica for students, version 3.1 running on suse linux 6.1 with
> enlightenment (no gnome or kde).
>
> very often when i want to click on something, the cursor (which is normally
> a pointer) becomes a hand and won't allow me to position it where i want.

Check to see if your Num Lock key is depressed.  If so, toggle it off and
see if the behavior goes away.

The appearance of the hand cursor is an indication that the front end is
trying to perfom a global style selection.  This is normally performed by
holding down the Mod2 key.  In this mode, clicking on a cell of a given
style will select _all_ cells of the same style.  Under XFree86, the Mod2
key is mapped to Num Lock, giving many an unwitting user a confusing
experience.  This feature is not documented, to the best of my knowledge,
but there is a Tech Support FAQ page on this topic.

http://support.wolfram.com/Systems/Unix/Linux/FE/Cursor.html

> i've definitely confirmed that Mathematica definitely gives a wrong result for
> an integral.

<snip>

> this may be a machine precision thing, but i'm sufficiently dumb about
> Mathematica's algorithms that i simply don't know.  in any event, how
> do i contact wolfram about this to give details?  should i mail them
> my work?  do they really want to see hardcore math relating to my
> research?
>
> like i said, they're very, very close, numerically.  does anyone care about
> this?

Send an e-mail message directly to <support at wolfram.com> with a minimal
example so that the behavior can be replicated.  If you have any manual
calculations or references to published works that support the belief that
the result should be different, please provide them as well.

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at wolfram.com
Wolfram Research, Inc.