Re: Can Mathematica solve these problems?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg19544] Re: Can Mathematica solve these problems?
  • From: "David Bailey" <dave-bailey at>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 00:52:30 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

CHAN Wone Fu wrote in message <7q9gu4$o59 at>...
>     I have two problems:
>(1) one nonlinear equations with two unknowns; and
>(2) a set of simultaneous nonlinear equations
>    to solve.
>    May I know if Mathematica could solve the problems?

Almost certainly. Mathematica uses Groebner Bases to solve simultaneous
nonlinear equations symbolically. Of course, if the result boils down to
solving a quintic (or higher) equation you will have to accept a numeric
answer. Try posting the specific equations you had in mind.

David Bailey
Salford Software
db at