Outgoing wave boundary conditions with NDSolve

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg15874] Outgoing wave boundary conditions with NDSolve
  • From: Keith Watt <kwatt at>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 23:33:31 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Hello -

   I'm trying to use NDSolve on a wave equation with outgoing wave
(Sommerfeld) boundary conditions.  I can set up the equation (with
initial and boundary comditions) if I use fixed or periodic boundary
condtions, but not with outgoing wave.  The outgoing wave BCs are:

Derivative[0,1][y][L,t]+Derivative[1,0][y][L,t] == 0

Derivative[0,1][y][-L,t]+Derivative[1,0][y][-L,t] == 0

where L is the length of the string that is carrying the waves.

Here is my input:

where ic1 and ic2 are equations defining initial conditions.

Mathematica responds with:

    "Part 3 of {<< 1 >>} does not exist."

    "The right-hand side of the differential equation does not evaluate
to a
number at t == 0."

What is the proper way to input these boundary conditions?

Many thanks..
Keith Watt
kwatt at