Re: InterCall

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg15400] Re: InterCall
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at physics.uwa.edu.au>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 20:57:15 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Roger Mason wrote:

> I want to connect Mathematica 3 to external routines written in Visual
> Basic or Fortran, preferably the latter. There seems to be little
> information available regarding calling VB programs from within
> Mathematica, but I see from MathSource that there is a program
> "InterCall" that deals with calls to Fortran. So far I have been unable
> to contact the vendor (Terry Robb) at the addresses given in the
> relevant Mathsource documents. The latter seem to date from the early
> 1990's, pre V.3. Does anyone know if this product is still available
> and, if so, is it compatible with V. 3?

I have Cc:d this reply to Terry Robb who now works for Wolfram Research.

InterCall worked very well under Mathematica Version 2.2, but this
release is no longer supported. It was intended that Wolfram Research
would distribute InterCall once it was compatible with Mathematica 3.0
(and future versions) but, due to changes in MathLink between 2.2 and
3.0, certain functionality of InterCall is still not available.

I have strongly encouraged Terry to update InterCall so as to fix or
workaround these problems but he has been too busy with other projects
(which is, in my opinion, a great pity).

For your information, the InterCall package is fully documented in "The
InterCall Book", edited by Michael G. Trefry and Paul C. Abbott, 1998,
ISBN:0-646-35666-6, and available at

	http://www.physics.uwa.edu.au/ICB/

Cheers,
	Paul

The University of Western Australia            Nedlands WA  6907
mailto:paul at physics.uwa.edu.au  AUSTRALIA
http://www.physics.uwa.edu.au/~paul

            God IS a weakly left-handed dice player