Need a means to get arguments of a function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg18444] Need a means to get arguments of a function
  • From: Patrick Reany <reany at xroads.com>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 00:11:30 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I'm using version 3.0.1 to demonstrate the differentiation of composite
functions. I need a means to get arguments to user-defined function(s)
to demonstrate the chain rule. For example, if the user put in

w = f[x,u,v] and v = h[x,y]

I need to get at each of the arguments of  f, even though Mathematica
wants to substitute out v in f by h[x,y].

Does Mathematica allow me to get at the original number of arguments of
f and does it have an indexed function that lets me get at each
particular argument of  f, such as allowing me to determine, say, that
the third argument of  f is v?

Thanks

Patrick