Re: Need a means to get arguments of a function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg18514] Re: [mg18444] Need a means to get arguments of a function
  • From: "Andrzej Kozlowski" <andrzej at tuins.ac.jp>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 22:32:52 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I think you should explain more clearly what exactly you want to do.

You can get the original arguments of w in held form by using

In[2]:=
HeldPart[w, 3]
Out[2]=
Hold[v]

However this may not be the most convenient approach for your purpose. If
you just  want to demonstrate the chain rule in this case, what's wrong with
the following:

In[3]:=
D[f[x, u, h[x, y]], y]
Out[3]=