Slow Version 4 Front End

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg18752] Slow Version 4 Front End
  • From: Bob Stagat <stagat at mrcsb.com>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 02:37:01 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I'm using Mathematica 4 on a PowerMac. When I was using version 3, if I
evaluated a cell that contained a very simple expression -- 2+2, say --
it would evaluate very quickly -- in some fraction of a second. Both
measured in CPU time, as evaluated by the kernel's Timing[] function, and
in wall clock time, as evaluated by the Front End's "ShowTiming" option.

With Mathematica 4, evaluating a cell takes an absolute minimum of about
4.2 seconds of wall clock time, as indicated by the Front End's
"ShowTiming" function -- and also by my monotonically increasing
frustration level. Even for trivial evaluations, like 2+2, for which
Timing[] returns {0. Second, 4}, but which the Front End shows took 4.42
seconds of wall clock time.

Why is the version 4 Front End so abysmally slow in communicating with
the kernel? What in the world is consuming this 4+ seconds of overhead on
every single thing I evaluate? Are there any options I can set to
eliminate these inordinate delays? I know it doesn't have to be so,
because version 3 never exhibited this frustrating behavior.

Bob Stagat
stagat at mrcsb.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/