Re: Cumulative distribution of Gauss

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg18734] Re: Cumulative distribution of Gauss
  • From: dreiss at (David Reiss)
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 02:36:49 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

In article <7mjqqb$f2v at>, <sallier_daniel at> wrote:

> Is there any analytical expression of the cumulative distribution of Gauss ?
> If not, can someone provided me with a fast executing algorithm. I am
> currently using pre-tabulated data. It is fine but its ends up to be rather
> time consuming for highly iterative calculations.
> Thank you for assistance.
> sallier_daniel at

The package Statistics`NormalDistribution` has the cumulative
(CDF) of a normal sidtribution (and the package
Statistics`ContinuousDistributions` covers quite a few other

CDF[NormalDistribution[mu, sigma], x]

1/2*(1 + Erf[(-mu + x)/(Sqrt[2]*sigma)])

)        Scientific Arts:            (
) Creative Services and Consultation (
) for the Applied and Pure Sciences  (
) David Reiss