plotting time data

I would like to plot some time data where I have the dates and/or times on
the horizontal axis and the data on the vericle axis.  What software would
I have to get inorder to plot this data over time. The data should be
plotted as points with a line joining the points. Getting the horizontal to
be labeled with the time and/or date is the trouble . I could use ListPlot
otherwise.

Thanks
James