Re: v4.0 bug???

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg18942] Re: v4.0 bug???
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh at>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 01:33:38 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at
On 27 Jul 1999, Radical wrote:

> I 've been having some trouble with Mathematica 4.0.  I just installed
> this thing yesterday (sucessfully-- according to the mathematica
> installer) but could not run it.  When I start mathematica.exe, the
> welcome screen would load but then... NOTHING!  Nothing happened after
> that.  The mathematica title bar and welcome screen were then closed and
> you couldn't see a trace of them.  I couldn't even run it off the CD!
> (even though the installation and running off CD was sucessful for
> another machine).
> Is the remains of mathematica 3.0 causing this?  I thought I had
> expelled the last trace of that program.  Has anyone seen this befeore?
> Please help.

There isn't enough information here to determine what may be at the source
of the problem.  You may want to post the following information to this

1) Brief description of your computing environment (e.g. CPU model, OS
version, memory).

2) During the startup process, there should be a startup screen.  On
Windows and MacOS, the screen is a centered splash window.  Under X
Window, the startup appears in the lower left hand corner of the screen.
This title screen should display a small line of text that indicates what
stage of the startup process is in progress.  What line do you see just
before the program exits?

P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at
Wolfram Research, Inc.