Re: Forcing Re[]'s to be Real

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg18281] Re: Forcing Re[]'s to be Real
  • From: pitakc at ee.pdx.edu (Pitak Chenkosol)
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 15:05:25 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

How about the followings : (I cut and paste from a DOS window so the format
may not look good but you get the idea)

In[1]:= k[w_] := Sqrt[w^2 (1 + (2/(1 + I w)))]

In[2]:= ComplexExpand[Re[k[w]]]

                                                       2
                                            Arg[1 + -------]
              2                  2                  1 + I w
Out[2]= Sqrt[w ] Sqrt[Abs[1 + -------]] Cos[----------------]
                              1 + I w              2

In[3]:= ComplexExpand[Im[k[w]]]

                                                       2
                                            Arg[1 + -------]
              2                  2                  1 + I w
Out[3]= Sqrt[w ] Sqrt[Abs[1 + -------]] Sin[----------------]
                              1 + I w              2

In[4]:= ComplexExpand[Re[k[11/17]]]

                                187
                         ArcTan[---]
            1361 1/4            494
        11 (----)    Cos[-----------]
            205               2
Out[4]= -----------------------------
                     17

In[5]:= ComplexExpand[Im[k[11/17]]]

                                 187
                          ArcTan[---]
             1361 1/4            494
        -11 (----)    Sin[-----------]
             205               2
Out[5]= ------------------------------
                      17

In[6]:= ComplexExpand[Re[k[11/17]]]//N

Out[6]= 1.0217

In[7]:= ComplexExpand[Im[k[11/17]]]//N

Out[7]= -0.186906

Hope that help.

Regards,

Pitak

-----

--
Pitak Chenkosol, Dept. Electrical Eng.,|  " I was born not knowing and have
Portland State University,             |    only had a little time to change