Q:Can I turn on a Notebook from the kernel?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg17305] Q:Can I turn on a Notebook from the kernel?
  • From: xingjing at calvin.math.vt.edu (Xing Jing Li)
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 23:22:31 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi, all;

I apologize my awkward questions since I am just starting work on the
Mathematica and MathLink a couple of weeks. I hope the experts in this
group will help me clear my view on the subject so I can save some
time searching fruitlessly on my own.

I am  working on a project that using Mathematica to do some symbolic
computation.  My goal is to put the symbolic expressions in the
notebook to  ".gif "  or ".pdf" files from a Mathematica which is
running from a remote server.  I can let math kernel to evaluate the
expression I feed in from a C program and what I get back is a LONG
expression with all the headers and brackets. (I sort of changed the
"factor.c " in the <mathlink Examples> to start with.)  What I want
are the expressions as in the notebook.  Is there any way I can turn
on a notebook from the kernel so that I can feed in the stuff I need
to evaluate from a C program  them save the output in  ".gif"  files
or do I have to write some front end to do the work.  I have tried the
examples come with the DeveloersKits and all the examples in the
Mathlink Tutorial by Todd Gayley.  I also searched The Mathematica
Book for an answer. So far I had no idea  how do you do it if you can
do it or can it be done at all.  I tried to use  Notebook commands in
the Kernel mode and it tells me these are frontend objects  and they
are not available.  Does it mean I can not access the notebook from
the kernel?

Thanks in advance,

Xing Jing