Re: MathLink Reference Guide

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg17496] Re: MathLink Reference Guide
  • From: paulh (P.J. Hinton)
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 01:44:31 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <7h4j4a$ehi at smc.vnet.net>, Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu> writes:

> Am I correct in thinking that the "MathLink Reference Guide Version 2.2"
> is obsolete and accordingly useless for use with Mathematica 3.0?

No, you are not correct.

The MathLink API has had very few incompatible changes between version
2.2 and 3.0.  The biggest differences that come to mind are that:

o MLOpen() has been deprecated in favor or MLOpenArgv() and
MLOpenString().

o LinkOpen[] with LinkMode options has been deprecated in favor of
LinkCreate[], LinkConnect[], and LinkLaunch[].

o There is support for the transfer of 16-bit (Unicode) character arrays
over a link.

o Under Windows, the Local protocol is no longer used for same-machine
communication.  A new protocol -- Filemap -- is now used.

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group		paulh at wolfram.com
Wolfram Research, Inc.			http://www.wolfram.com/~paulh/