Syntax error on opening notebook

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg20169] Syntax error on opening notebook
  • From: Scot Hawkins <shawkins at>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 21:07:37 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I have several notebooks in Mathematica 3.0 that read in data from a
file in their directory.  I can set the directory okay, although
sometimes it won't let me use a single SetDirectory[] command, and all
works well.  When I go back and reopen the notebook at a later date,
Mathematica gives me an error.  In the popup box, it says

There was a syntax error on line 3 of the cell expression. The error

It opens my file with the cell given as

    \(SetDirectory["\<workin~1\2dfigures\>"]\)}], "Input"]

Where before saving, it read

This occurs even when I only have a single SetDirectory[] command.

What is going wrong, and how do I fix it so I do not have to retype the
SetDirectory command everytime I want to reopen my document?