Re: adjusting frame size in plot

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg20306] Re: adjusting frame size in plot
  • From: "Stephen P Luttrell" <luttrell at signal.dra.hmg.gb>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 20:20:39 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Martin Heimann <martin.heimann at bgc-jena.mpg.de> wrote in message
news:7trvo4$bsk at smc.vnet.net...
> Dear colleagues,
>
> can I reiterate Scot's question? This is an old shortcoming of
> Mathematica und I'm not aware if it has been corrected in Version 4. Look
> at the simple case of two stacked diagrams:
>
> Show[GraphicsArray[{{Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, 2 Pi},
>           DisplayFunction -> Identity]}, {Plot[10000 Sin[x], {x, 0, 2
> Pi},
>           DisplayFunction -> Identity]}}],
>   DisplayFunction -> $DisplayFunction]
>
> The fact that one cannot stack different plots over the same x-axis
> without trial and error is a serious shortcoming of Mathematica

I believe the example below does the sort of thing you require (i.e. 2 plots
with dissimilar x and y ranges):

p1 = Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, 3 Pi/2}, DisplayFunction -> Identity];
p2 = Plot[2Sin[2x], {x, Pi/2, 2Pi}, DisplayFunction -> Identity];
Show[{p1, p2}, DisplayFunction -> $DisplayFunction];

Mathematica handles the superimposing of the plots automatically and
correctly.

--
Stephen P Luttrell
Signal Processing and Imagery Department

+44 (0)1684 894046 (tel)
+44 (0)1684 894384 (fax)
luttrell at signal.dera.gov.uk (email)