Integer Element assumptions not always consistent?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg20174] Integer Element assumptions not always consistent?
- From: Jim Radford <radford at robotics.caltech.edu>
- Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 21:07:40 -0400
- Organization: California Institute of Technology, Pasadena
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
I'm very pleased that Mathematica 4.0 has support for assumptions in Simplify, but my first attempt to use them produced inconsistent results. I traced the problem to the following Limit[ Sin[2 n Pi]/(n-1), n->1] (* 2 Pi *) Simplify[ Sin[2 n Pi]/(n-1), Element[n,Integers]] (* 0 *) I'm not sure what form I would expect back from the Simplify, but maybe some thing like: n==1 && 2Pi || 0 which isn't really the correct form because it is not Boolean, but I'd like it to return something analogous to what Reduce returns. If nothing else I would expect an "Indeterminate" message of some kind. Is this a bug or a feature? -Jim