Rebuilding polygon from CoefficientList?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg20164] Rebuilding polygon from CoefficientList?
  • From: "Holger Strauss" <strauss at>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 21:07:34 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I have a mixed polynomial poly in several variables vars.

cl = CoefficientList[poly, vars]

gives a multi-dimensional matrix of coefficients.

Can anyone help with an algorithm/expression that
re-constructs the original poly given cl and vars?
(In practice, I'd like to manipulate the coefficients before
reconstructing the polynomial; otherwise this wouldn't
make sense).
The algorithm must be able to handle any number of vars.
I've found a solutions for a small and fixed number of vars
using some ugly nested For loops. However, I suppose
that there must be a more efficient solution using some cute
matrix operations.

Many thanks,

Holger Strauss
Institute of Communication Acoustics