dictionaries?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg20413] dictionaries?
  • From: Joe Strout <joe at strout.net>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 00:33:00 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In Python, there's an extremely handy datatype called a "dictionary"
which implements a many-to-1 mapping between keys (which can be any
hashable type) and values (which can be anything).  E.g.:

1
> d["three"]
(key not found)

I'm looking for something similar in Mathematica -- it's a great way to
organize lists of parameters, without having to worry about the order
in which they are listed.

I've searched the online help and flipped through the Mathematica book,
but I can't find anything like this.  Have I missed something?

Thanks,
-- Joe

|    Joseph J. Strout           Biocomputing -- The Salk Institute |
|    joe at strout.net             http://www.strout.net              |
Check out the Mac Web Directory!    http://www.strout.net/macweb.cgi