rotation matrix to Yaw-Pitch-Roll angles

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg20438] rotation matrix to Yaw-Pitch-Roll angles
  • From: gochen at (Gil C.)
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 00:33:17 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I know this question was asked before, but I could not find an
Having the definition of an object's orientation in space (world XYZ
coordinate system), how do I represent its orientation as
Yaw-Pitch-Roll angles ?
I am looking for the formulas.

The rotation matrix is:
3 elements describing the cosine of the angle between X axis, Y axis
and Z axis of the object and the  X of the "world" coordinate system.
next 3 elements are for the object's Y axis.
Last 3 are for Z axis.

Thanks in advance,