Re: drawing tilted ellipses?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg20548] Re: drawing tilted ellipses?
  • From: "James Lawry" <jamesl at numbercraft.co.uk>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 00:14:00 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Joe Strout <joe at strout.net> wrote in message news:7v3bmr$5te at smc.vnet.net...
> Is it possible to draw an ellipse in Mathematica that is not orthogonal
> to the XY axes?  E.g., leaning over 30 degrees?
>
> I thought perhaps I could specify it orthogonally and then apply a
> rotation transformation, but the only transformations available seem to
> be scaling (Scaled) and translation (Offset).
>
> Of course I could use a series of line segments, but I want this to be
> smooth even when printed on a high-resolution printer.  Any tips?

Other replies to this message seem to assume that Joe wants to plot an
ellipse, which effectively renders it as a series of line segments. I
interpret Joe's question as meaning he wants to find a way of rotating the
graphics primitive for an ellipse, Circle[{x, y}, {r1, r2}]. I don't know of
any way to do this -- it seems you are stuck with ellipses whose major and
minor axes are parallel to the display coordinate axes.

James Lawry.