Re: crystal structure?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg19647] Re: crystal structure?
  • From: Dr Phillip Kent <p.kent at>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 00:28:40 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Big Fish wrote:
> Is there a painless way to draw a nice, smooth,
> ball-and-stick type, preferably with a 3D shading,
> crystal or molecular structure using Mathematica?

For ideas, check out:

under "Lab 3". It depends how smooth you want the spheres
to appear - because Mathematica graphics are based on
postscript, smooth-looking spheres are memory-hungry,
though shouldn't be a problem if your computer is a fairly recent
(>= 233 MHz or so) model.

 Dr Phillip Kent                  | tel +44 (0)171 594 8503
 Mathematics Dept (METRIC Project)| fax +44 (0)171 594 8517
 Imperial College                 | p.kent at
 London SW7 2BZ, U.K.             |
 "We would like to have a theory of the obvious"-Andrea diSessa