Re: crystal structure?

Big Fish wrote:

> Is there a painless way to draw a nice, smooth,
> ball-and-stick type, preferably with a 3D shading,
> crystal or molecular structure using Mathematica?

For ideas, check out:

http://metric.ma.ic.ac.uk/chem/

under "Lab 3". It depends how smooth you want the spheres
to appear - because Mathematica graphics are based on
postscript, smooth-looking spheres are memory-hungry,
though shouldn't be a problem if your computer is a fairly recent
(>= 233 MHz or so) model.

-Phillip

 Dr Phillip Kent                  | tel +44 (0)171 594 8503
 Mathematics Dept (METRIC Project)| fax +44 (0)171 594 8517
 Imperial College                 | p.kent at ic.ac.uk
 London SW7 2BZ, U.K.             |
 "We would like to have a theory of the obvious"-Andrea diSessa