typesetting piecewise function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg19761] typesetting piecewise function
  • From: Henrik Weimer <henrik at rice.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 03:53:09 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello!

I use Mathematica 4 for a lot of my technical writing. One common
problem I have is defining a piecewise function. In mathematical
notation one commonly uses a large opening curly brace with all the
cases listed to the right. In Mathematica I can try to do this but the
curly brace does not scale to the full hight of the matrix of cases on
the right. Here is an example:

\!\(\*
  RowBox[{\(\[ScriptCapitalN][\[ScriptX]]\), "=",
    RowBox[{"{", GridBox[{
          {"1",
            RowBox[{
              RowBox[{
                RowBox[{
                  StyleBox["if",
                    "Text"], " ", "0"}], "<", "\[ScriptX]", "<=", "1"}],

              ","}]},
          {"0",
            StyleBox["otherwise",
              "Text"]}
          }]}]}]\)

If I use a regular opening paren instead of the curly brace it scales
fine (I guess Mathematica thinks this is a matrix). Is there a way of
getting this to look right with a large opening curly brace or something
similar?

Thanks,

    Henrik Weimer
    henrik at rice.edu