typesetting piecewise function

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg19761] typesetting piecewise function
  • From: Henrik Weimer <henrik at>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 03:53:09 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I use Mathematica 4 for a lot of my technical writing. One common
problem I have is defining a piecewise function. In mathematical
notation one commonly uses a large opening curly brace with all the
cases listed to the right. In Mathematica I can try to do this but the
curly brace does not scale to the full hight of the matrix of cases on
the right. Here is an example:

  RowBox[{\(\[ScriptCapitalN][\[ScriptX]]\), "=",
    RowBox[{"{", GridBox[{

If I use a regular opening paren instead of the curly brace it scales
fine (I guess Mathematica thinks this is a matrix). Is there a way of
getting this to look right with a large opening curly brace or something

    Henrik Weimer
    henrik at