Re: Parallel programming.
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg22969] Re: Parallel programming.
- From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
- Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2000 14:44:41 -0400 (EDT)
- Organization: Universitaet Leipzig
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Hi, > > It sounds to me like your quad SPARC might work pretty well for this > but I cannot make any guarantees. Alternatively, a good fast new > PC costing about $2,000 might actually give you better performance than > the quad Sparc. Furthermore, if you were really into it, > you could get parallel Mathematica running on a cluster of PC boxes using > 100BT interconnect. A 100 BM ethernet connection is about 10-50 times slower than the link on the same machine (depending in the net collisions). But the effect depends strongly on the ratio parallel/serial code. With a program that has 99 % parallel code the conection does not realy matter. With a program that does only 50 % parallel you can be dramatical slower. Regards Jens