Shadowing in loaded packages

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg23059] Shadowing in loaded packages
  • From: Dan Warren <drdanw at my-deja.com>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 03:00:20 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

What is the cleanest way to avoid shadowing when loading two packages
that define the same symbol?  I will regularly need to load
Miscellaneous`Units` and Graphics`Colors`, both of which define the
symbol Gray.  I would prefer the color over the unit of radioactivity.

I know that I could Off[Gray::shdw] and be careful to Get the packages
in order Graphics`Colors`, Miscellaneous`Units` every time I want to
use both packages, but this seems fragile to me.  Is there a better way
to do this?

A note to Wolfram developers: shadowing also occurs with the common
option Verbose, which is defined in CleanSlate, Notation, and the
exporting packages.  A particularly annoying example is exporting to
HTML a notebook that begins with CleanSlate[], in which a shadow
warning message appears in the HTML that was not present in the
original notebook.  Given its common usage, could Verbose be added to
the System` context and removed from the individual package contexts
(in future releases?)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.