implementing successive squaring algorithm

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg23218] implementing successive squaring algorithm
  • From: "Matthew Herman" <Henayni at>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 01:12:26 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I was looking to implement the successive squaring algorithm (same as
PowerMod), and I seem to have it, but the program won't store the
modulus value.
I took apart the program to the base of the problem, if anyone has
suggestions let me know.

f[a_] := Mod[a^2, m]

What happens is that I get the NestList with it not being evaluated for