implementing successive squaring algorithm

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg23218] implementing successive squaring algorithm
  • From: "Matthew Herman" <Henayni at hotmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 01:12:26 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

I was looking to implement the successive squaring algorithm (same as
PowerMod), and I seem to have it, but the program won't store the
modulus value.
I took apart the program to the base of the problem, if anyone has
suggestions let me know.

pmod[a_,b_,m_]:=g[a,IntegerDigits[b,2],m];
g[a_,blist_,m_]:=blist*Reverse[NestList[f,a,(Length[blist]-1)]];
f[a_] := Mod[a^2, m]

What happens is that I get the NestList with it not being evaluated for
m=modulus.

Thanks

matt