copying notebook sections to text documents

Please excuse the simple question, but..
How can I copy portions of notebooks and paste them into text documents
(such as this posting) and have them not include all the normally-hidden
formatting characters?  The closest I have come by trial and error is to
convert the selection to input form and asnd then copy and paste into the
text document.  This conversion adds parenthesis and double-quotes depending
upon the cell type.  How do you get it into a format such as that used when
mathgroup members post questions and answers?

Thanks,

jr