Help Visualization Advice ?

Hi,
I'm considering using mathematica for visualization purposes alongside my
C++ code. What I wish is to plot (x,y,z) for a grid of points, each point
will have a value associated with it which will be displayed as a colour.
Now my worry is that as it is not solely 2D, the 3-D 'cube' will not be very
clear to view. How can I display this 3D plot so that the visualization will
be clear? Or will I have to resort to a few 2D slices at regular z-plane
intervals to better illustrate my results.
Thank You.
Phil.