Re: 2D array to tab delimited file

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg24738] Re: 2D array to tab delimited file
  • From: "Louis M. Pecora" <pecora at anvil.nrl.navy.mil>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 02:31:40 -0400 (EDT)
  • Posted-and-mailed: yes
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <8mdlkm$5in at smc.vnet.net>, L Lobo <leonlobo at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> I am creating a large 2D array and need to save it to file (tab delimited)
> which is then read by LabVIEW. I have tried using Export but the spaces
> created between columns varies. I have looked up old postings on this
> newsgroup but the solutions I've seen seem to be a bit longwinded. I have
> version 4. Any ideas?

Here are some routines I wrote to output the type of files you want.
Hope these help:

(* Array and List I/O to space-delimited CR at line end files *)

(* -------- arrayWrite ----------------------------------
   Output numbers from array in text format with spaces between each
list
   element and a CR after each list *)

arrayWrite[filename_,array_] := Module [{thefile=OpenWrite[filename]},

                        If[thefile==$Failed,
                           Print["***ERROR. Could not open file"];
                           Return[Null];  ];
                        arrayWriteLP[thefile,array];
                        Close[thefile];
                        Return[Null]  ]

(* Array and List I/O to tab-delimited CR at line end files *)

(* -------- arrayWrite ----------------------------------
   Output numbers from array in text format with tabs between each list
   element and a CR after each list *)

arrayWritetab[filename_,array_] := Module
[{thefile=OpenWrite[filename]},

                        If[thefile==$Failed,
                           Print["***ERROR. Could not open file"];
                           Return[Null];  ];
                        arrayWritetabLP[thefile,array];
                        Close[thefile];
                        Return[Null]  ]

(* -------- listWrite -----------------------------------------
    Output numbers from list in text format with CR after each *)

listWrite[filename_,list_] := Module [{thefile=OpenWrite[filename],d},

   If[thefile==$Failed,
         Print["***ERROR. Could not open file"];
         Return[Null];  ];

   d=Depth[list];
   If [d != 2,
      Print["***ERROR. Input list has wrong depth. Can only be a single
list"];
      Close[thefile];
      Return[Null] ];
   Scan[(
      WriteString[thefile,#];
      WriteString[thefile,"\n"])&,
      list ];
   Close[thefile];  ]

--- Low level routines ----------------------------------
(*  Write out to file with spaces after numbers *)
arrayoutLP[thefile_,array_] := (

   Scan[(
      WriteString[thefile,#];
      WriteString[thefile," "])&,
      array ];
   WriteString[thefile,"\n"]; )

arrayWriteLP[thefile_,array_] := Module[{d,i},

   d=Depth[array];
   If[d < 2,
      Print["***ERROR. Input array has no elements to output (Depth <
2)"] ];

   If[d == 2,
      arrayoutLP[thefile,array] ,

      Do[
         arrayWriteLP[thefile,array[[i]] ],
      {i,Length[array]}]; ] ]

(*  Write out to file with tabs after numbers *)
arrayouttabLP[thefile_,array_] := (

   WriteString[thefile,array[[1]]];  (* write first number *)
   Scan[(
      WriteString[thefile,"\t"];
      WriteString[thefile,#];)&,         (* write rest of numbers *)
      Rest[array] ];
   WriteString[thefile,"\n"]; )

arrayWritetabLP[thefile_,array_] := Module[{d,i},

   d=Depth[array];
   If[d < 2,
      Print["***ERROR. Input array has no elements to output (Depth <
2)"] ];

   If[d == 2,
      arrayouttabLP[thefile,array] ,

      Do[