Re: SetDirectory[ ] for Folders on the Mac Desktop?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg24780] Re: SetDirectory[ ] for Folders on the Mac Desktop?
  • From: Brian Higgins <bghiggins at>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 00:32:14 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

When I need to find the path for functions such as SetDirectory[ ] ,I
use the following "trick". Evaluate the following statement in your

This brings up a file browse window. I select a file in a particular
folder I want to set  dierctory to and hit the choose button. This then
pastes the file path into the notebook: Here is the output from a file
in a folder on my desktop (Mac)

"SystemDrive:Desktop Folder:Algebra:AlgebraQues.html"

I then strip of the file name and paste the remaining string into the
argument  of SetDirectory

SetDirectory["SystemDrive:Desktop Folder:Algebra"]

Note that Desktop Folder is two words! I guess this is the reason
why  your path did not work on your system.

The approach I have described works on Windows and Linux/Unix
systems.I have found this approach most helpful when explaining
to students how to read files or export files in Mathematica on an
operating system where the path format is not familiar to them.

In article <8mr1a0$1m8 at>,
  AES <siegman at> wrote:
> How can I SetDiretory[ ] to a folder that's on my Macintosh
> SetDirectory["myHardDisk:someHardDiskFolder"] works fine.
> SetDirectory["myHardDisk:someDesktopFolder"] doesn't.
> Neither does
> Using the Mac "Get Info" command on someHardDiskFolder or
> someDesktopFolder seems to give the same form for either
one, i.e. it
> doesn't show any explicit "Desktop" aspect in the file path for the
> latter case.
> Thanks   siegman at

Sent via
Before you buy.