Help: 1.#QNAN ??

Hi,
I apologise if this is slightly off-topic, but I imagine many people here
use Mathematica & C++ in computations. In a C++ program I have used 'double'
for all of my values in computations. My outputs are usually shown in the
form 5.324670 etc... but in some cases I get them in this form 1.#QNAN.
What on earth does this mean? It may be a problem as I want to write my
values to file to be read in by another application, and I don't suppose it
will understand what type of value 1.#QNAN is either.
Thanks In Advance.
Philip.