RE:Email

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg24946] RE:[mg24927] Email
  • From: "Ersek, Ted R" <ErsekTR at navair.navy.mil>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 05:08:17 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Mitja Lakner asked how to send an email directly from Mathematica.

Lets say you want to send an Email to me at
  ersektr at navair.navy.mil
When I evaluate FrontEndExcecute[...] shown below on my PC (which has
MS-Outlook installed) an Email to myself is started and I can start typing a
message.

----------------------

FrontEndExecute[{FrontEnd`NotebookLocate[{URL["ersektr at navair.navy.mil"],Non
e}]}]

---------------------
On the other hand you might want to make a hyperlink that starts an email
message.  You should be able to easily make a hyperlink that evaluates
FrontEndExcecute[...] above.  Using Mathematica under Windows 98 I can do
the following, and I suspect the steps are very similar under your operating
system.

-- In a text cell I type the text that I want to use for the hyperlink.
-- Next I select the text I want to use for the hyperlink, and make the menu
selection
      ( Input | Create Hyperlink ).
-- In the field for "Other Notebook or URL" type
       mailto:ersektr at navair.navy.mil
   and click on OK.
-- I then have a button that will start an Email to myself when it's clicked
on.

Regards,
Ted Ersek

Download Mathematica tips, tricks from