mathlink

Hi all,
 I am trying to let the mathematica kernel evaluates for me something from
a c program. I am using the "simple example " from Todd Gayley MathLink
tutorial page 24 .After calling the excutabe file(call it add)  through:
add -linkname'math-mathlink'-linkmode launch ;
it seems to me that the progrm is compiled  and it instructs me to
enter two numbers.After I entered them it instructs me as:
Create Link :Connect to link.
What I should do now.Whatever I type in  the computer goes in a very long
sleep!!!!
thanks in advance.