opening files

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg24955] opening files
  • From: "Tom De Vries" <tdevries at shop.westworld.ca>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 00:02:27 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello!

I sent a question a little while back but didn't make myself really clear.

I am using a Mac and am getting Mathematica files from students, sent to me
via email.  Most students are using PC's  (and I am using a Mac)  I have
tried tweaking some things in the PC Exchange Control Panel and Easy Open
Control Panel but I find that these files can't be opened (directly) by
Mathematica when I get them.  I CAN open them with Microsoft Word, then save
them as a text file, and then open them with Mathematica, but I must somehow
be able to get these files to work directly when I receive them?  Is there
something I need to do on my computer to have Mathematica recognize these
files as Mathematica files, or do the students with PC's need to do
something different?

Thanks for any help you might provide.

Tom De Vries