Math, MathKernel ... and others

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg24982] Math, MathKernel ... and others
  • From: Barbara DaVinci <barbara_79_f at>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 08:27:43 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Hi everybody

Firstly, a bit of netiquette : when a post of mine is replied, should I
thank the author using his/her own address ?  I did so, feeling to be
a spammer!  Then I stopped, feeling to be ill-mannered!  What's the
behaviour MathGroup people think to be fine ?

The following questions refers to Mathematica 4.0.0
for Windows 9x :

What about MathKernel.exe and Math.exe ?
They are locate in the same folder where
Mathematica.exe is, but I can't
figure out their roles. Math.exe seems to be a
dos-like interface to kernel
but it doesn't work without Windows ; MathKernel on
the other hand is .. "a line command inteface to
Kernel running under a graphical GUI" !?!?
Does anybody knows about their effective use ?
A smaller Mathematica.exe is located in
C:\mathematica 4\SystemFiles\FrontEnd\Binaries\Windows
: what is it intended for ?

Edit\Check Spelling in an extremely useful feature.
Where are user's dictionaries located ? I haven't been
able to find them.
I looked in C:\mathematica
but none of the files contained changes when a word is
Are they manually editable ? Suppose a lot of words
being added (using Add Word) ; how can I backup the
modified dictionary ?
Can you point me at a web site containg an Italian
dictionary for Mathematica ?

I was told mathdll.dll to be the kernel. Is this right

C:\mathematica 4\SystemFiles\Templates\Kernel and
C:\mathematica 4\Configuration\Kernel both contain
init.m and end.m :
why are these files duplicated ?
What about Developers.m and Experimental.m ?

Regards, Barbara

Do You Yahoo!?
Il tuo indirizzo gratis e per sempre su