Re: opening files

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg24979] Re: opening files
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 08:27:38 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Are you trying to double-click on these files to open them from Finder,
or are you already inside Mathematica and using the usual File Open
dialog of Mathematica.

If the former, then it probably won't work because Mathematica doesn't
recognize these files as Mathematica notebooks.  Note that the Mac OS
mechanism for identifying what applications is associated with a file is
different from what PCs use (PCs just look at the extension, .nb in this
case).

If the latter, then I have no idea.  In fact, the usual way I make
Mathematica notebook files from PCs recognizable as such on Macs is to
open them via File Open inside Mathematica and re-save them.  Now Finder
knows they are to be opened in the future with Mathematica.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.       phone 413 549-1020 (H)
Univ. of Massachusetts                     413 545-2859 (W)
Amherst, MA 01003-4515