Re: Big trouble with Mathematica Code parsing -- Rant.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg26273] Re: Big trouble with Mathematica Code parsing -- Rant.
  • From: paulh at wolfram.com (P.J. Hinton)
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 00:19:45 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 6 Dec 2000 02:52:13 -0500, "Louis M. Pecora"
<pecora at anvil.nrl.navy.mil> wrote:

> Beware.  Adding white space and blank lines for readability can cause
> Null's  to appear and other problems.  I suspect this is partly related
> to the fact that space can be taken as a multiplication, but
> eliminating spaces and blank lines may not cure the problem.  I know.
> I've tried.

Did you read over Section A.2.10 in _The Mathematica Book_ (Fourth
Edition)?  The information therein provides guidance on how input to
the kernel is processed on a per-line basis.  Note the last paragraph
which pertains to input within a notebook cell using StandardForm.

This section may be looked up by pasting the following expression in a
notebook and evaluating it.

FrontEndExecute[FrontEnd`HelpBrowserLookup["MainBook", "A.2.10"]]

--
P.J. Hinton
User Interface Programmer                         paulh at wolfram.com
Wolfram Research, Inc.